On Life’s Pilgrimage: My Vocation Story

Cecilia (left) at her vow ceremony.in Yangon, 2018.
by Cecilia fcJ

When I look back at the journey I took in discovering my life’s vocation, I see that there were times of joy, times of laughter, and times of learning: about myself, about who God is for me, and about vowed religious life. At the same time, while searching and learning about all those things, there were many challenges as well.

I could have said that I was a fool in following God's call.  I did take a huge risk in joining religious life, and especially in becoming a Faithful Companion of Jesus, which required great trust in God. When I first talked to FCJ sisters from the Yangon community and felt an attraction to their way of life, I was not sure whether I was suited to becoming an FCJ, but I decided to quit the job I had at that time and leave my comfort zone behind and set out with the zealous desire to know more about them. I don’t know where the strength came from that gave me the courage to ask permission from the bishop I was working with at that time to leave my job.

I left my home in Myitkyina, in the north of Myanmar, and came down to Yangon, way down in the south, not knowing yet where I could stay, where I could work, or what kind of job I could apply for in this the biggest, most crowded city in Myanmar, where I had no relatives or place to settle down. By God's providence, and with the help of Sisters Mary John Paul SFX and Christine May, I was offered the job of teaching English in the Myanmar Institute of Religious Study (MIRS), with free food and lodging. With that, I could look for a place to rent with my limited budget, and for a job on which I could live in Yangon. Finally, I was able to rent an apartment on the 7th floor, the only cheap place I could afford. I also got a job teaching English in Campion Institute, which is run by the Jesuits. Many friends were willing to lend me their helping hands.

At the same time, I was accompanied by Sister Marion fcJ as I discerned more deeply whether I was called to religious life. Then, I went through the different stages of formation as aspirant, postulant and novice, in which I was accompanied by Sisters Sisca, Narni and then Clare fcJ. During the periods of formation, there were many challenges, such as learning to live with people of different personalities in the same community, learning a new culture and language when I was sent to Indonesia, and learning to let go both of who I thought I was and of the things I used to do, especially during my postulancy and novitiate time.

Cecilia (right) making her vows.
After almost six years of formation, I made my first profession of vows in Myanmar, on the 8th of December, 2018. I was thrilled as this was the day I was officially accepted as a Faithful Companion of Jesus. I revisited the first call; how I foolishly decided to take up religious life. My desire to join a religious community came from wanting to work with other people instead of on my own. With my own hands I can only do a little, but together with many other hands, I can do many more things for God's people. It gives me much joy that I have been accepted as an FCJ, and that I continue on my journey with many other companions; many hands with which to carry on God’s mission in the world.

Comments

Popular Posts