Living in Hope

Last December, as I was preparing to go to Manila for my new mission, one problem I faced was that the birth date on my passport was different from that on my national identity card.  I had to go to the passport office in Yangon to fix it. It was packed with many young people, lining up in the queue with big hopes of getting a passport in order to work abroad for their families. Most of the young people were from the villages and still inexperienced. Some were in groups led by agents, and knew nothing about the procedure to get a passport. One of the young men at the back of the queue said that he had sold all the cows and fields that he had.

Looking at them and listening to their stories, I reflected on Advent and on my own vocation; on waiting, hoping, letting go and surrendering to Goodness for life, which sometimes comes at a really high price. It can be a challenge and a struggle. These young people, taking risks and changing their lives, need so much strength and courage to build better futures for themselves. I pray for each person, striving hard for a better future, that God may accompany them and grant them the courage to face whatever difficulties lie ahead of them.

Maria Khaing Nyein Aye, fcJ 

Comments

Popular Posts