Choices


by Maria Khaing fcJ

Life is full of choices. We have to make choices whether we like it or not. Even in the simple routines of daily life, we have to make numerous decisions. Sometimes, we also have to make huge decisions that will determine the course of our lives. Life means a lot for each of us, and we have to make most of the life we have right now. Many young people may feel confused, hopeless and lost as to what the meaning of life is. I have experienced that myself. There are so many things to consider when we talk about life choices. I would like to share some ideas that might help in making life choices.

Each choice comes with both freedom and responsibility. Before we choose, we need to think seriously and decide if what we are choosing is suitable for us or not. In order to know which life choice is suitable for us, we need basic of knowledge about “who we are”, the ability to accept the realities of life, and the courage to make a decision of our own free will. Unfortunately, people sometimes make decisions because they think they have no other choice. For example, young people might get married because their parents pressure them to, or because they become pregnant and other people say they should.  As a matter of fact, some suffer their whole lives because of these decisions. Some people on the other hand learn from their experiences, and have the opportunity to change the course of their lives again.

We all know that our future is in our hands. We need to be aware that choosing our future is important. Whatever decisions we make will determine our future. Some people tend to blame or complain about the situations that arise in their lives. On the other hand, I like this quote from Marshall Pinckney Wilder: “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade”. All the people in the world have their own problems, and it is in their power to try to create a better future for themselves and others.

When I was 23 years old, I was trying to discover the right profession for me. At that time, I wanted a profession that would enable me to feel happy, be comfortable and grow in maturity. I felt that life was like a battle, and it was up to me whether I fought or gave up. It was my choice. I experienced working as a pre-school teacher for some years, but I was not happy. Then, I changed my job and worked as a marketing executive in a company, but I was not happy as well. I knew that I needed to find another profession, so I opened a little restaurant. I became a businessperson.  However, I was still not sure that I had gained happiness. I was confused with all the jobs that I had chosen. Luckily, I had an opportunity to volunteer in a project for street children, and I was very happy working with them. Finally, I knew that I wanted to be a social worker. Each profession has its struggles, but if we find real happiness in our own choices, we can move forward to face every situation.

I would like to encourage to all youth to explore and search for the meaning of life. Our lives are short, so we must choose what brings us joy. Moreover, if we can enjoy life, we can easily find the meaning of life. Every mistake is a source of learning, and we can choose a life that is right for us. To discover the meaning of life, we need to have strength and courage to choose it.

Comments

Popular Posts