My Journey as an FCJ


Read the Indonesian translation here.

I am Tyas from Java, Indonesia. My journey with the FCJ Society for nearly nine years since postulancy has been a journey full of joy and challenges at the same time.  Joy because the ongoing formation has been forming me as a whole and integrated person, ready to answer the world’s “thirst” in different places.  And challenge because the whole process needs total openness and letting go at the same time.  It is beautiful and consoling to me that Jesus anticipates all that I need to continue in this journey.

This reminds me of when I went on a pilgrimage in France with other younger FCJs in July 2018, which brought me much joy.  I reflected then that the “road” of life for me is like a road shaded by trees, leading the way to a sunlit destination.  It is as if I am walking along protected by the trees and guided by the sun.  Even though I don’t know how far it will be and what kind of way it will be, one thing that is certain is that God is my protector and guide.

I have been in Manila since 11th October  2018.  Right now, I am studying English in a local language school, Mariology and Psalms in a theology school, and some related short courses in spirituality and religious life in other institutes.  In addition to all my classroom study, daily life here in the FCJ community is an enriching learning process that gives me a deeper understanding of interculturality, skills in community living, culture, and language. My involvement in community ministries – such as with children and young people from a poor area outside our house –  is also stretching my personality and understanding.

When I entered the novitiate in 2011, my prayer was to be able to give my “Fiat”, like Mary did at the annunciation.  This prayer was a humble plea to God for grace in starting a new life.  It sometimes seems that I am walking with Mary along my life’s journey.  And right now, I feel that moving to another country is like Mary’s visit to Elisabeth.

My journey from Indonesia to the Philippines to meet and to serve people and to study is a time to grow more firm in my vocation as an FCJ, which is the way to salvation for me. This vocation is about sharing God’s love with others through service. In this, Mary is a model for me. She was a generous and faithful disciple who took the long journey to Judea, walking with the baby Jesus to confirm God’s plan of salvation for God’s people.  More than that, I have been learning that in the context of feminist theology, Mary is a brave and strong young woman who wholeheartedly empathises with and represents the needy and the marginalized in her role as Mother of the Church.  May her example and inspiration refresh the energy of my service.

Like Mary, the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of the church, and like the holy women, messengers of the Good News, I am sent to proclaim the Truth, Jesus who is alive and who lives among us, who is the Son of God and the Savior of the world. (Adaptation of the FCJ Constitutions, No. 3)  As the FCJ Constitutions suggest, may all my studying help my ministry in the future.  From here, my journey as an FCJ continues in the service of the “thirst” of the contemporary world.  May my life as an FCJ witness to the beauty of God’s love and care, which enables me to serve others. 

Tyas fcJ

Comments

Popular Posts